Neapolitan cookies are smooth butter cookies flavored with chocolate, vanilla, and strawberry. They’re formed in a loaf pan and comprised of simply 1 cookie dough. So fairly!
We’re virtually completed the sixth annual Sally’s Cookie Palooza! At the moment is day 9 of my annual Christmas cookie countdown. Let’s look again in any respect the recipes revealed up to now this yr:
- Peppermint Bark Cookies
- Spritz Cookies
- Christmas Cookies in a Jar (with free printable!)
- Santa’s Whiskers Cookies
- Iced Oatmeal Cookies
- Gingerbread Home (December Baking Problem)
- Straightforward Lace Cookies
- Drop Fashion Christmas Sugar Cookies
Day 9 is certainly one of my favorites– Neapolitan Cookies with chocolate, vanilla, and strawberry. These cookies are formed in a loaf pan and created from simply 1 cookie dough.
Neapolitan Cookies from 1 Base Cookie Dough
Once I was writing Sally’s Cookie Addiction, my newest cookbook, I examined a primary vanilla butter cookie recipe. I turned this vanilla butter cookie recipe into my pinwheel cookies discovered on web page 62. I LOVE this primary cookie dough and you may taste it, form it, and layer it in so some ways like right now’s neapolitan cookies. Right here’s what I really like about at present’s recipe:
- EASY. Created from simply 1 cookie dough.
- SIMPLE TO SHAPE. No ruler or rolling pin wanted. Use a loaf pan.
- BUTTERY AND SWEET. I really like their taste.
- SOFT. Crunchy crumbly edges and thick, smooth facilities.
- FUN WITH FLAVORS. Spruce up the vanilla layer with crushed walnuts or somewhat coconut extract. Change out raspberry jam/extract for the strawberry. Add a pinch of espresso powder to the chocolate dough for a mocha taste. Yum!
Put together the bottom cookie dough, then divide it into Three parts. One portion will probably be your vanilla dough, so set that apart. The opposite two parts can be your strawberry cookie dough and chocolate cookie dough.
Taste the Cookie Doughs
To make every taste, place the portion of dough again within the mixer together with the flavoring components listed within the recipe under. We’re utilizing melted chocolate and cocoa powder within the chocolate cookie dough and strawberry jam, almond extract, and a drop of pink/pink meals coloring to brighten up the pink shade.
Non-compulsory however advisable: somewhat strawberry extract. Makes a BIG distinction.
The strawberry cookie dough additionally wants additional flour to offset the moist strawberry jam.
The EASY Strategy to Form Neapolitan Cookies
Put away your ruler and rolling pin as a result of all you want are your arms and a 9×5 inch loaf pan. Line the loaf pan with parchment paper, then press/layer the cookie doughs in. Any order is ok, however I like to recommend the next:
- Strawberry cookie dough on the underside
- Vanilla cookie dough within the middle
- Chocolate cookie dough on prime
There’s a bit extra strawberry cookie dough as a result of we added additional flour, so it’s greatest that it’s the bottom of the neapolitan cookies. And I discover the vanilla cookie dough stands out probably the most when it’s within the middle. Simply my opinion!
This cookie dough wants to relax.
Chill the cookie dough contained in the loaf pan within the fridge or freezer. As soon as chilled, take away from the loaf pan utilizing the parchment paper overhang on the edges. Slice the “loaf” in half lengthwise, then slice every into 1/2 inch thick cookies. Thicker cookies = softer cookies. 🙂
That is non-compulsory– attempt brushing the formed cookies with egg white + water and sprinkling with coarse sugar. Provides a stunning sparkle and crunch! See my recipe notice under– the cookie dough makes use of 1 egg + 1 egg yolk, so that is the right place to make use of up that leftover egg white.
One other choice to spruce up your layered cookies: a dip in melted chocolate! You want melted chocolate for the chocolate cookie dough layer, so save a bit of additional for dipping the baked cookies. See my recipe observe for directions.
Aren’t these Three layered butter cookies beautiful?! And couldn’t be simpler to form.
We completely beloved these and I undoubtedly advocate that strawberry extract for the strawberry dough. (You will discover it within the spice aisle of most main grocery shops.) Let me know in case you make these 1 dough neapolitan cookies!
What’s Sally’s Cookie Palooza?
Sally’s Cookie Palooza is a practice since 2013. Each December we countdown to Christmas with 10 new cookie recipes in a row. Over the subsequent two weeks, I’m publishing 10 model new cookie recipes in addition to giveaways, the December Baking Problem, Christmas cookie video tutorials, and a lot extra. That is the most important, most scrumptious occasion of the yr! Join immediate updates and also you’ll obtain a free e-mail alert each time I publish a brand new recipe. 🙂
Click on to see Sally’s Cookie Palooza through the years!
Base Cookie Dough
- 2 and 1/2 cups (310g) all-purpose flour (spoon & leveled)
- 1/2 teaspoon baking powder
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 1 cup (230g; 2 sticks) unsalted butter, softened to room temperature
- 1 cup (200g) granulated sugar
- 1 giant egg + 1 egg yolk, at room temperature* (see word)
- 1 and 1/2 teaspoons pure vanilla extract
- optionally available: 1 Tablespoon water and coarse sugar for sprinkling on prime*
For the Strawberry Dough
- 1 and 1/2 Tablespoons all-purpose flour
- 1 Tablespoon strawberry jam
- 1/2 teaspoon almond extract*
- pink or pink meals coloring*
- elective: 1/four teaspoon strawberry extract for additional taste*
For the Chocolate Dough
- 1 and 1/2 Tablespoons unsweetened pure cocoa powder (or dutch course of)
- 1 ounce semi-sweet chocolate, melted and barely cooled
- Make the dough: Whisk the flour, baking powder, and salt collectively in a medium bowl. Put aside.
- In a big bowl utilizing a hand mixer or a stand mixer fitted with a paddle attachment, beat the butter and granulated sugar collectively on medium-high velocity till creamed, about 2 minutes. Add the eggs and vanilla extract and beat on excessive velocity till mixed, about 1 minute. Scrape down the edges and up the underside of the bowl and beat once more as wanted to mix.
- Add the dry components to the moist elements and blend on low till mixed. Dough will probably be thick and sticky. Take away from the blending bowl. No have to rinse out the blending bowl.
- Divide the dough into Three: There’s about 30 ounces of dough (1 lb, 14 ounces). Divide into three equal parts, about 10 ounces every. One portion is your vanilla dough. Nothing shall be added to it. Set vanilla dough apart. The opposite two parts will probably be your strawberry dough and chocolate dough.
- Make the strawberry dough: Place one portion of dough again into the blending bowl. Add all the strawberry dough elements. I like to recommend beginning with 1 drop of pink or pink meals coloring. Beat on low velocity till dough is mixed. Add one other drop or 2 of meals coloring till you attain the pink colour desired. For the pictured cookies, I solely used 1 drop of dusty rose gel meals coloring. Take away from the blending bowl. No have to rinse out the blending bowl.
- Make the chocolate dough: Place final portion of dough again into the blending bowl. Add all the chocolate dough components. Beat on low velocity till dough is mixed.
- Form and chill cookie dough: See step-by-step photographs above displaying this following step so you have got a greater understanding. Line a 9×5 inch loaf pan with aluminum foil or parchment paper, leaving an overhang on the edges to carry the chilled cookie dough out. I like to recommend layering the cookie dough into the pan within the following order: strawberry dough on the underside, vanilla dough within the center, chocolate dough on prime. Utilizing your palms, press every dough layer firmly and evenly into ready loaf pan.
- Cowl loaf pan tightly and chill dough within the fridge for at the least Three hours (and as much as four days) or 1 hour within the freezer. (See make forward tip should you want to freeze longer.)
- Preheat oven to 350°F (177°C). Line 2 baking sheets with parchment paper or silicone baking mats. Put aside.
- Slice and bake: Raise dough out of the pan utilizing the overhang of parchment paper on the edges. You will have a 9×5 inch block of dough. Slice in half lengthwise so you might have two 2.5 x 9 inch rectangles. Use a pointy knife to trim off the ends so the rectangles are eight inches lengthy. Slice every into 16 cookies. Every cookie is 1/2 inch thick.
- Organize cookies 2-Three inches aside on the baking sheets. If desired, brush every frivolously with egg wash (see recipe word) and sprinkle with coarse sugar. Bake for 11-13 minutes or till frivolously browned across the edges.
- Take away from the oven and permit cookies to chill on the baking sheet for five minutes earlier than transferring to a wire rack to chill utterly.
- As soon as cool, take pleasure in cookies or dip in melted chocolate. See recipe word.
- Cookies with out chocolate coating will keep recent coated at room temperature for 1 week. Cookies with chocolate coating will keep recent coated at room temperature for Three days or within the fridge for 1 week.
Make forward tip: Baked cookies, with or with out chocolate coating, freeze nicely as much as Three months. Thaw in a single day within the fridge and convey to room temperature, if desired, earlier than serving. You can also make/assemble the cookie dough within the loaf pan and chill within the fridge for as much as four days (see step eight). If desired, you’ll be able to freeze the cookie dough within the loaf pan for as much as Three months. Thaw in a single day within the fridge then proceed with step 9.
- You want 1 egg plus a further egg yolk for the cookie dough. Save the additional egg white and blend it with 1 Tablespoon of water to make a easy egg wash. Brush this over every cookie as directed in step 11, then sprinkle with coarse sugar earlier than baking. This provides the cookies a bit additional crunch and sparkle!
- I like to recommend utilizing gel meals coloring within the strawberry dough as an alternative of liquid meals coloring. Liquid meals coloring might alter the feel of the completed cookie. Begin with 1 drop as directed in step 5, then add one other drop or 2 if desired. For the pictured cookies, I solely used 1 drop of dusty rose gel meals coloring.
- Almond extract provides a stunning taste to the strawberry cookie dough. If desired, you possibly can depart it out.
- Strawberry extract is very advisable for added strawberry taste. You’ll find it within the spice aisle of most main grocery shops.
- Need to dip your neapolitan cookies in chocolate as pictured? You want 1 ounce of semi-sweet chocolate for the chocolate cookie dough and most baking chocolate is bought in four ounce bars. I like to recommend Bakers or Ghirardelli manufacturers, each bought within the baking aisle. Soften the remaining Three ounces of chocolate from that bar, plus an additional four ounce bar for a complete of seven ounces of melted semi-sweet chocolate. Be sure to chop the bars earlier than melting. Soften in a double boiler or within the microwave in 15-second increments, stopping and stirring after every till utterly clean. Dip the nook of every cooled cookie into melted chocolate. Permit chocolate to set utterly within the fridge for 20 minutes or at room temperature for 30 minutes.
- Enjoyable with flavors: Spruce up the vanilla layer with 1/2 cup crushed walnuts or 1/2 teaspoon coconut extract. Change out raspberry jam and extract for the strawberry. Add a pinch of espresso powder to the chocolate dough for a mocha taste.
Did you make a recipe?
Tag @sallysbakeblog on Instagram and hashtag it #sallysbakingaddiction.
SHOP THE RECIPE
Listed here are some gadgets I used to make as we speak’s recipe.
KitchenAid Stand Mixer | Loaf Pan | Parchment Paper | Pastry Brush | Meals Coloring | Strawberry Extract | Almond Extract | Glowing Sugar | Silpat Baking Mat | Baking Sheet | Cooling Rack | 2-cup Glass Measuring Cup