Comply with this easy recipe and video tutorial for one of the best all butter pie crust. It’s going to make an a pie skilled instantly! Full with all my ideas and troubleshooting, this pie crust recipe is buttery, flaky, and tender with probably the most unimaginable taste.
On the request of many, at this time I’m sharing my go-to all butter pie crust recipe. It competes with my butter and shortening pie crust for the #1 spot in my pie-loving coronary heart. (Scroll to the recipe notes for my pie crust comparability!) I’ve made hundreds of pies in my day and contemplate myself a pie skilled. A pi-expert, if you’ll. I’ve made all of the pie crust errors so I can coach you thru the method and provide you with all of the information and confidence to deal with pie crust as soon as and for all.
You’ll be a pi-expert with this recipe and tutorial in your aspect!
Watch my video tutorial for butter pie crust with lattice topping. That is my do-it-yourself apple pie with chai spices, a favourite each Fall season.
Begin with a reliable pie crust recipe and also you’re set for fulfillment. Quickly everybody shall be asking YOU for all of your pie crust secrets and techniques. By the best way, Pie Week three.zero begins subsequent week!!
- 1 Solely 5 Elements in Butter Pie Crust
- 2 Primary Pie Crust Steps
- 3 Why the Emphasis on Chilly?
- 4 The best way to Maintain Pie Dough Chilly:
- 5 How one can Roll Out Pie Dough
- 6 Butter Pie Crust Ideas
- 7 Pie Crust Troubleshooting
- 8 Really helpful Pie Crust Instruments
- 9 Pie Recipes
Solely 5 Elements in Butter Pie Crust
This pie crust is made with 5 elements. Every ingredient has a really particular job. And with so few elements, it’s necessary to make use of the highest quality.
- Flour – The construction of pie crust.
- Salt – Taste taste taste. Use desk salt as an alternative of coarse salt. Smaller salt crystals dissolve and disperse extra evenly all through the dough.
- Granulated Sugar – Pie crust shouldn’t be candy, however including just a little sugar to butter pie crust improves its taste and enhances browning. The sugar crystals additionally assist break down the exhausting items of butter.
- Chilly unsalted butter – Provides the pie crust’s unbeatable taste and flaky texture. Use unsalted butter. The quantity of salt in several manufacturers’ salted butter varies, so for higher management over the flavour, it’s greatest to start with unsalted and add your salt.
- Ice water – The ultimate ingredient, about half cup of ice chilly water holds all of the components collectively. Use simply sufficient so the dough holds its form when rolling out. Many pie crust recipes don’t name for sufficient ice water, supplying you with a dry pie dough that cracks whenever you roll it out. When unsure, add a bit of extra water. You’re higher off with extra water (moist pie dough) than not sufficient water (dry, cracking pie dough) as a result of you possibly can all the time work extra flour into the dough, however you possibly can’t actually add water to the pie dough once you’re making an attempt to roll it out.
Primary Pie Crust Steps
- Combine dry components collectively.
- Minimize within the butter with a pastry cutter or meals processor.
- Add ice water just a little bit at a time till the dough begins to return collectively. It should really feel thick and moist, not overly moist. You’ll use round 1/2 cup (120ml).
- Mould pie dough right into a ball.
- Minimize in half. This recipe yields two 9-inch pie crusts.
- Flatten into discs. Wrap in plastic wrap.
- Chill for two hours earlier than utilizing.
These steps are proven within the video tutorial above and described within the recipe under.
Why the Emphasis on Chilly?
Protecting your pie dough as chilly as potential prevents the fats from melting too quickly. Too quickly = earlier than the pie crust enters the oven.
- What occurs when the pie dough is heat? The butter within the pie crust will soften earlier than baking, which suggests you lose all of the flakiness and construction. Heat pie dough melts right into a pool of grease. You’ll have a tough, crunchy, and greasy crust as an alternative of a superbly tender flaky crust.
- What occurs when the pie dough is chilly? The butter within the pie crust will soften contained in the oven. Butter has a excessive quantity of water content material and this water converts to steam because the pie dough bakes. The steam separates the crust into a number of flaky layers, making this probably the most scrumptious pie crust ever.
The colder the dough, the flakier the pie crust.
The best way to Maintain Pie Dough Chilly:
- Use ice chilly water. Fill a glass with 1 cup of water, add ice. You solely want 1/2 cup of water on this butter pie crust recipe, however have a bit of additional simply in case.
- Use chilly butter. I maintain a few of my butter within the freezer and switch it to the fridge a pair hours earlier than starting the crust. The butter is a component frozen and really chilly.
- Chill the pie dough for a minimum of 2 hours earlier than rolling out. This step is non-negotiable; it’s probably the most essential in your complete pie crust recipe.
- For additional insurance coverage, chill your flour and your mixing bowl within the fridge or freezer. Sounds just a little foolish, however belief me… it actually helps!
How one can Roll Out Pie Dough
After the dough has chilled, it’s time to roll it out. Maintain a small bowl of flour close by to maintain your work floor, rolling pin, and palms flippantly floured. This prevents the pie dough from sticking. When rolling pie dough out, all the time begin from the middle and work your means out in all instructions, turning the dough as you go. If the pie dough feels too heat or the butter is melting, cease. Carry it up, place on a baking sheet, and chill within the fridge for at the very least 10 minutes earlier than persevering with.
Butter Pie Crust Ideas
- I’m going to repeat myself right here. Hold all pie crust elements chilly. On a scorching day, you can chill the measured out flour within the fridge or freezer earlier than beginning. When taking the pie crust out of the fridge to roll out and fill, ensure that your pie filling is able to go. If not, hold the pie crust within the fridge till it’s.
- Glass pie dishes are greatest. Why? Versus ceramic or metallic pie dishes, glass pie dishes conduct warmth evenly, which permits the underside of the crust to bake completely. Additionally, you’ll be able to see when the sides and backside of the crust have browned.
- In case your pie recipe requires pre-baking (blind baking pie crust)– let’s say you’re making a pie with an particularly moist filling– use pie weights or dried beans. With out pie weights, the pie dough will puff up, then shrink. Whichever you select, make sure you line the crust with parchment or aluminum foil, then fill the empty pie crust with the weights. See my submit and video tutorial for learn how to blind bake pie crust.
- All the time use a pie crust defend. A defend retains the crust edge coated, which protects it from browning too shortly or worse, burning. Use an adjustable silicone pie crust defend that you could match to the dimensions of your delicate pie crust. Metallic can break the crust. Alternatively, you’ll be able to cowl the pie with a bit of aluminum foil. Reduce a big circle within the middle of the sq. so the middle of the pie is uncovered.
- Discover ways to braid pie crust with my how one can braid pie crust video tutorial!
Pie Crust Troubleshooting
- Forestall a crumbly pie dough that rips and tears whenever you roll it out. Ensure you use sufficient ice water when getting ready your pie dough. Too little water creates an unworkable dough.
- Forestall a troublesome pie crust. Robust crusts are the results of not sufficient fats within the crust, in addition to overworking the dough. Use the all butter pie crust recipe or my shortening and butter pie crust recipe to make sure a flaky, tender pie crust. Moreover, don’t work the dough an excessive amount of.
- Forestall a burnt crust with a pie defend. See above.
Really helpful Pie Crust Instruments
- Pastry cutter – Although you need to use a meals processor to make this butter pie crust, I strongly advocate a pastry cutter to keep away from over-mixing. Meals processors are fast to over-work pie dough.
- Pastry mat – I favor rolling pie dough out on a calmly floured counter as a result of counter tops are often colder, however you should use a frivolously floured pastry mat as an alternative.
- Rolling pin – An apparent should with pie dough! I additionally love this marble rolling pin. Marble rolling pins are often cooler to the touch and everyone knows that pie dough loves the chilly.
- Glass pie dish – My mother-in-law purchased me this Pyrex pie dish 5 years in the past and it’s been my go-to ever since. I’ve four of them now! Like I point out in my pie crust ideas above, glass pie dishes conduct warmth evenly, which permits the underside of the crust to bake completely. That is necessary. There’s no comparability, Pyrex is the perfect. There’s additionally this scalloped glass pie dish, equally incredible.
- Pizza cutter or pastry wheel – To chop your pie dough into strips for lattice ornament or any ornament. Have you ever seen my pie crust designs submit?
- Pastry brush – An egg wash is just an egg combined with milk or water (often milk). Flippantly brush the pie dough with an egg wash utilizing a pastry brush. The egg wash creates a golden, shiny, crisp crust. With out it, pie crust is uninteresting and missing colour.
- Pie weights – These are essential whenever you blind bake pie crust for no-bake or custard pies. Pie dough will puff up and lose its form with out the weights. You can even use dry beans, granulated sugar, and even pennies. Word: 2 packs of these pie weights is certainly wanted!
- Pie crust defend – Pie crust edges are often larger up than the middle of the pie, leaving them uncovered to probably the most warmth. They brown faster than the middle of the pie, so it’s essential to guard it with a defend. I often place a pie crust defend on the pie about midway by way of bake time. I like to recommend an adjustable silicone pie crust defend you could regulate. Or you’ll be able to cowl the pie with a bit of aluminum foil: minimize a circle within the middle so the middle of the pie is uncovered.
Now that you simply’re absolutely ready and outfitted, listed here are a number of pie recipes to make use of your all butter pie crust. Pictured is my chai spice apple pie and I topped it with salted caramel within the video.
- 2 and 1/2 cups all-purpose flour, plus extra as wanted (spoon & leveled)
- 2 teaspoons granulated sugar
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 1 cup unsalted butter, chilled and cubed
- 1/2 cup (120ml) ice water, plus extra as wanted
- Combine the flour, sugar, and salt collectively in a big bowl. Add the cubed butter on prime.
- Utilizing a pastry cutter, meals processor, or two forks (pastry cutter is right, see publish above), reduce the butter into the dry components till all flour is coated. You are in search of pea-sized bits of flour coated butter. A couple of bigger bits of butter is OK.
- Measure half cup (120ml) of water in a cup. Add ice. Stir it round. From that, measure 1/2 cup (120ml) of water because the ice has melted a bit. Drizzle the chilly water in, 2 Tablespoons (30ml) at a time, and stir after every addition. Cease including water when the dough comes collectively simply and begins to type giant clumps. The dough will really feel moist and somewhat sticky, however not really feel overly moist. Don’t add any extra water than you’ll want to. I all the time use about 1/2 cup (120ml) of ice water.
- Place pie dough on a flippantly floured work floor. Utilizing floured palms, fold the dough into itself till the flour is absolutely included into the fat. Type it right into a ball. Divide dough in half. Utilizing your arms, flatten every half right into a 1-inch thick disc.
- Wrap every disc tightly in plastic wrap and refrigerate for no less than 2 hours and as much as 5 days earlier than utilizing in a pie recipe.
- When rolling out the chilled pie dough discs, use mild pressure together with your rolling pin. Begin from the middle of the disc and work your method out in all instructions, turning the dough together with your arms between rolls. Clean out the sides for those who discover cracks. (See video above.) Holding your work floor, rolling pin, and palms flippantly floured makes rolling out simpler.
- Proceed with the pie per your recipe’s directions.
Make forward tip: Put together the pie dough by way of step four and freeze the discs for as much as three months. Thaw in a single day within the fridge earlier than utilizing in your pie recipe.
- Pie Crust Comparability: Let’s examine how this all butter pie crust recipe compares to my favourite buttery flaky pie crust, which makes use of a mixture of shortening and butter. Resulting from butter’s excessive water content material, this all butter pie crust is lighter textured with extra outlined flakes. Because the crust bakes, the butter’s water converts to steam, creating hundreds of deliciously mild flakes. It is also so buttery! Nevertheless, due to all this butter, I discover that the shortening and butter pie crust is just a little simpler to work with. Shortening has a better melting level than butter, so the crust holds its form splendidly. Each crusts are implausible, however in case you are trying to make intricate pie crust designs I extremely advocate my buttery flaky pie crust.
- Changing 1 Tablespoon of ice water with chilly apple cider vinegar creates a fair flakier, extra tender pie dough. It is sooooo tasty. Attempt it!
Did you make a recipe?
Tag @sallysbakeblog on Instagram and hashtag it #sallysbakingaddiction.
SHOP THE RECIPE
Listed here are some gadgets I used to make at this time’s recipe.
Glass Mixing Bowls | Pastry Cutter | KitchenAid Meals Processor | Pizza Cutter | Glass Pie Dish | Pastry Brush