We deliberate a spur of the second journey to California the final week of 2018 and had such a good time. Andrew had some conferences on the West Coast so I made a decision to tag alongside to maintain him firm and to additionally go to household and buddies. We determined to hit up three cities in a single week together with San Diego, Los Angeles and San Francisco. I used to be past thrilled to return. We didn’t have any concrete plans past our flight dates. It was all about catching up with family members and packing in as a lot consuming and purchasing as we might! Numerous you messaged me asking how I handle to remain match whereas having an “amazing appetite” and it made me giggle so onerous I began to cry. After months of sticking to principally clear consuming I made a decision to reside life to the fullest and never care concerning the energy for the final week of the yr. It was 100% value it. Additionally with all of the strolling we did neither of us gained any weight in the course of the journey.
Above Left: Flying out of Tampa Worldwide Airport overlooking St. Pete Seashore, Proper: Landed in San Diego with the Away Baggage in Greater Carry On and two All over the place Luggage (c/o), remainder of our baggage was at baggage declare, sporting Madewell Sweater, Joie Jacket (older fashion), denims worn are Body Denim, sneakers are Converse Footwear
We took a purple eye from Tampa to San Diego and packed our Away Baggage with 1 Medium Suitcase, 2 Greater Carry-Ons and a couple of All over the place Luggage. Full assessment + packing posts to comply with in separate options as this one is fairly prolonged with three cities. I’ll say that the Medium Baggage was good for us and that we’re each extremely impressed with the In all places Luggage. In San Diego Andrew booked us a room at Lodge Republic close to downtown. It was round 12 minutes strolling distance from Little Italy and in a comparatively protected space. We loved our keep! The rooms have been clear, trendy and really snug. We might undoubtedly contemplate staying right here once more.
We stopped by a few of our favourite meals locations and tried one new spot. The first morning Andrew needed to rush to conferences so we had breakfast within the lodge which was respectable however there are higher choices on the town. Our favorites:
- Mission Cafe in North Park / Hillcrest – There are a number of places across the metropolis and this one is our favourite. They’ve one of the best rosemary potatoes and occasional on the town. In case you are happening the weekends go early, the wait can typically be longer 45 minutes!
- In-N-Out Burger – I used to eat this weekly. There are not any different burgers like this. For those who wish to eat wholesome then I’d say keep away from this, however I like it. My brother has provided so freeze and ship them to me from California.
- Indigo Grill – Certainly one of our favourite dinner spots in Little Italy. We met up with a great pal right here for dinner. For those who attempt it I extremely advocate you check out the brie appetizer. Their ribs are additionally fairly good.
- Pho on fifth – This can be a little gap within the wall Vietnamese restaurant, we’ve tried quite a bit on the town and there are such a lot of good ones. This one is our favourite.
Different meals locations I’d advocate by space:
- Little Italy – Crack Shack, Ballast Level, Pappalecco (for espresso and desserts), Ironside, PrepKitchen
- Hillcrest / Balboa Park – Cucina Urbana
- La Jolla – PrepKitchen, Espresso Cup La Jolla, Whisknladle, Herringbone, Piatti
We stopped by Coronado a pair occasions to go to household and stroll across the seashore. In comparison with Tampa, the seashores in Coronado appeared freezing this time of yr! We nonetheless like it right here.
Above sporting Everlane Cashmere Crew, Kate Spade Sun shades (older colour fashion, present model right here), Rag and Bone Ankle Skinny
I additionally made some extent to cease by one in every of my favourite espresso outlets on the town. Communal Espresso has actually fascinating floral lattes (and common ones too). Their mild bites are excellent as nicely. They’ve a cute flower store inside which is a bit spendy to construct your personal bouquet however they all the time have the prettiest recent reduce flowers. The store isn’t just Instagram pleasant. They really have excellent espresso and meals.
Our subsequent cease was LA! On the best way up we stopped in between San Diego and Los Angeles to see Rachel of Beauty Professor! I posted a photograph of us together with her lovely child on Instagram in case you missed it! We drove up that night to LA and we stayed with my brother whereas we have been on the town. View from my brother’s home:
We did one touristy factor whereas on the town which was to go to the road the place you’ll be able to see the Hollywood Signal on Windsor Boulevard between 4th and fifth Road. Additionally proven on this publish right here.
We managed to pack in a number of buying at The Grove, Beverly Middle, Americana at Model and Westfield Century Metropolis. I might say one of the best spot to buy is Century Metropolis. The Grove is all the time enjoyable, however with the current modifications and upgrades, one can find much more choices at Century Metropolis or Americana At Model. Melrose can also be an excellent cute space for the smaller boutiques and eating places. Fast thanks to the candy readers who stopped me to say good day whereas we have been out and about! It actually made my day that you simply took the time to cease and say hello 🙂
- Westfield Century Metropolis has Eataly is tremendous cute inside! I feel the one in New York is best, however the one in Los Angeles isn’t dangerous. We purchased some bite-sized pastries and espresso to refuel and re-energize in between all of our strolling and operating round.
- Sugarfina shops aren’t anyplace in Tampa (but), they’ve a small choice right here and there at a number of shops, however no free standing location. I stocked up on their vacation santa cookies and gummies!
- Compartes Candies has a few of the cutest chocolate bars, I often go to the one on Melrose however we didn’t make it there this time. Fortunately there was a cute retailer in Century Metropolis!
- Gjusta is my brother’s favourite place to eat so we met up with him there. This was my second time right here and it’s all the time superb! We additionally actually love Gjelina in Venice (restaurant and take out) however for dinner they typically require reservations which we didn’t plan prematurely for. We have been on the town Christmas week and understanding how busy they’re we didn’t even attempt to go.
Different eats and tries:
- Butcher, Baker, Cappuccino Maker was a spot we tried for the primary time in West Hollywood, Andrew’s breakfast sandwich was superb however my avocado toast was simply okay. The espresso was scrumptious although!
- Egg Slut – We met up with my bestie right here for the primary time and beloved it. Andrew was satisfied we have been going to Shake Shack subsequent door and nonetheless hasn’t forgiven me that we didn’t cease by this journey.
- Dominique Ansel at The Grove – We had a number of pastries right here and the cronuts. The one in NYC is best however the Los Angeles location continues to be excellent.
- Din Tai Fung (not proven) – We have been so enthusiastic about this we forgot to take any pictures! My household is from Taiwan and once I was in school, I spent a summer time there. I ate at Din Tai Fung in Taipei each week. I don’t assume any of the places within the US are fairly like the unique ones, however it’s nonetheless very excellent! It was Andrew’s first time making an attempt it and he was very impressed.
My bestie Laura, so pleased to see her! Under sporting the highest is the Free Individuals Nikala Tee (nonetheless out there right here), denims are the 7 For All Mankind Excessive Waist Skinny, Chloe Mini Marcie, Cole Haan Grandpro Stitchlite
Under outdoors my joyful place, I needed to cease by a number of Sephora shops. This one at Century Metropolis is the perfect one we noticed!
Final Cease San Francisco
Cropped Sweater from & Different Tales, Body Le Skinny Denim denims on repeat, Converse Footwear, Chloe bag
Our final cease was San Francisco. We arrived on the town Christmas Eve and stayed a number of extra days at my brother-in-law’s home. Considered one of our good buddies gave us a tour of the brand new Fb facility in San Francisco. He’s based mostly in campus in Menlo Park however was nonetheless capable of give us a tour of the brand new constructing. The views from the highest flooring have been superb!
Leather-based jacket from Vince (previous fashion, present model right here)
My must-sees for San Francisco have been Tartine Bakery and Tartine Manufactory. I might eat at each locations each day if I might. The bread and pastries are the perfect I’ve ever had! I reside for the Tartine Morning Buns.
We additionally tried a couple of different cute locations which I didn’t get footage of. A lot of the eating places have been closed for Christmas Eve and Christmas however we managed to seek out some open eating places. On Christmas Eve we stopped by a ramen place referred to as Iza Ramen which was actually cute! On Christmas night we determined to not prepare dinner at house and as an alternative went out for Chinese language dumplings. Three of us put in our names at each Kingdom of Dumpling and Dumpling Kitchen (they’re each on the identical road) and waited almost 45 minutes for a desk. Kingdom of Dumpling opened up first. It’s a really tiny restaurant inside with perhaps solely eight tables. Despite the fact that the wait was lengthy and area was just a little cramped, we had probably the most entertaining memorable Christmas there. We might 100% return.
A number of extra snapshots of our journey. I’ve the worst worry of heights and it’s an ordeal for me to stroll down steep hills. I might virtually fairly cease drop and roll down any steep hill, it’s that dangerous. Andrew held my hand the complete time. We walked by means of Nob Hill, Russian Hill, Lombard Road and it was so packed for the vacations! We ultimately made our method right down to Boudin’s at Fisherman’s Wharf to seize some espresso and simply took our time to benefit from the metropolis.
On our final day earlier than we flew again to Tampa, we stopped by a gap within the wall Banh Mi store referred to as Dinosaurs within the Castro. It was wonderful! It’s tiny however the meals was scrumptious.
I hope you loved our California Travel Diary! We aren’t good at planning however we all the time handle to have a great time even on spur of the second adventures. I hope in 2019 we’ll be higher and plan our journeys extra prematurely. I’m presently researching locations to go to within the upcoming months. We now have a lot on our journey bucket record it’s arduous to select a vacation spot!
Do you will have any favourite spots in California? Or any journey plans for the upcoming yr? I’d love to listen to about them! Packing posts are what most of you’ve been asking me for. I’m breaking it down right into a three half collection so keep tuned! I’ll let you realize what I introduced with me, what I might have skipped and in addition the record of issues I felt like I missed.