Welcome to the October Baking Problem! Since this month marks the third birthday of Sally’s Sweet Addiction cookbook AND I’ve had a number of requests for a sweet recipe problem, I figured now’s the right time to problem you to make a sweet recipe from my guide! And never simply any recipe, actually the perfect recipe. That is pumpkin spice toffee and you’ll find the recipe under and on web page 109 in Sally’s Sweet Addiction.
ABOUT SALLY’S CANDY ADDICTION
My greatest-promoting cookbook, Sally’s Sweet Addiction cookbook (<– extra e-book pictures and information there!), was revealed in 2015. This cookbook is full with 75 photographed recipes which are unique to the cookbook. You can see how-to’s, ideas, tips, and recipes for the whole lot from toffee, caramels, and fudge to truffles, chocolate bark, and marshmallows. Plus a chapter full of cupcakes, cookies, and desserts utilizing sweet comparable to Snickers, M&Ms, and extra. This cookbook was voted considered one of one of the best cookbooks of October 2015 on Amazon!
Have you ever ever eaten selfmade toffee earlier than? Like REAL selfmade toffee? A easy mixture of butter and sugar, toffee is your candy tooth’s dream. In contrast to onerous-as-rock brittle, toffee softens and melts in your mouth. There are dozens of the way to organize it together with including spices or darkish chocolate. You possibly can even make a shortcut model with saltine crackers. However for the October Baking Problem, we’re specializing in a seasonal gem. Thick, candy, salty, pumpkin spiced, toasted pecan crammed, white chocolate coated toffee. That is my favourite recipe in your complete cookbook and in the event you visited me on my guide tour three years in the past, you doubtless tasted it!
BEHIND THE RECIPE
I guess you didn’t know that you simply solely want 5 components and a range to make selfmade toffee. Every ingredient is as essential as the subsequent:
- Butter: The bottom of toffee.
- Heat water: The melted butter can be heat, so the water must be as nicely. Any sudden modifications in temperature spells sweet catastrophe.
- Granulated sugar: Not brown sugar, which holds an excessive amount of moisture. Although brown sugar is my preferrred selection in most baked items, I by no means use it for toffee as a result of the sweet gained’t set correctly.
- Salt: Toffee is supremely salty and candy! It’s one of the best.
- Mild corn syrup: There’s numerous debate over including corn syrup to toffee, however I all the time use it. Corn syrup ensures a smoother texture (no sugar crystals!) particularly when cooked to a excessive temperature. Although different liquid sweeteners can typically be substituted for corn syrup, sweet making isn’t a type of situations. Once more, it’s chemistry! You solely want 1 teaspoon for the recipe.
These 5 components shall be cooked on the range till the sweet reaches 290°F (143°C), often known as the Delicate Crack Stage. As soon as it reaches 290°F (143°C), about 25 minutes (although that extremely is determined by your range as a result of on an electrical range in my previous kitchen, it took 40 minutes and now on my fuel cooktop– 25 minutes!), you’ll stir within the pecans and pumpkin pie spice. When you’ve got 10 minutes earlier than you start, I strongly advocate toasting the pecans within the oven. Hiya heightened taste! After they’re stirred into the toffee, pour all of it out onto a lined baking sheet, then let it cool for about 5 minutes earlier than topping with melted white chocolate, extra toasted pecans, and pumpkin pie spice. Let it cool and break into items.
I assure this would be the greatest pumpkin deal with you style the complete fall season as a result of it’s not muffins, cookies, or bread. It’s do-it-yourself pumpkin spice sweet!
You’ll have most in your kitchen provide already!
Sweet thermometer. There’s no method to make previous-original toffee that (1) has a crumbly texture (2) has zero sugar graininess and (three) is actually bursting with the caramelized flavors of correctly cooked butter and sugar… with no sweet thermometer! This software makes the complete sweet cooking course of EASIER– there’s no mistaking temperature. For ease, I like to recommend a digital sweet thermometer that clips onto your pot like this one or this one. If calibrated, a sweet thermometer is extra correct than utilizing your eyes to detect sweet’s doneness.
- Calibrate: I’ve by no means had to do that, however in case you have a sense your sweet thermometer’s readings are off, you’ll be able to check it with a pot of boiling water. At sea degree, water boils at 212°F (100°C). Every 500-foot improve in altitude lowers the boiling level by about 1 diploma. In case your sweet thermometer reads above or under the boiling level in your location, make the required adjustment when cooking sweet.
Heavy bottomed saucepan. Oh the various batches of toffee I ruined from utilizing an affordable saucepan. A deep and thick saucepan with straight sides is the perfect place to prepare dinner sweet. Skinny pans, which frequently have scorching spots, don’t stand up to the warmth required for toffee cooking. I burned 837258 batches of toffee and my sweet cooking confidence earlier than realizing this. Today I’ve a couple of pans I exploit for making toffee: right here, right here, and right here. All three pots are wonderful decisions for selfmade sweet. The Cooks Commonplace is a superb choice for novices, whereas the All-Clad and copper pot are perfect for controlling the temperature of your sweet. Properly-crafted, heavy, and sustaining exact temperature, copper cookware is the perfect for sweet making.
Picket spoon. Wooden has a excessive warmth tolerance. It additionally doesn’t conduct warmth, so it gained’t suck warmth out from the cooking sweet which causes crystallization. Should you want one, right here’s a picket spoon set that I really like for all my cooking!
- Crystallization: the formation of sugar crystals in cooking sweet. It is going to flip your clean syrup right into a lumpy and grainy mess!
Pastry brush. A pastry brush is important to sweet making. Its function is to assist rid the saucepan of sugar syrup which will have splashed up alongside the edges. This syrup might burn and crystallize, ruining your batch of toffee. Moist it with water and wipe the edges of the pan clear. It’s okay if some water drips down into the cooking sweet.
Rimmed baking sheet. A 12×17-inch (or comparable measurement) rimmed baking sheet is the place you’ll pour out the toffee to chill.
Silicone baking mat. A silicone baking mat will make your sweet making expertise a lot simpler. Why? Once you pour the toffee out onto the baking sheet, it’s so a lot simpler to unfold onto AND take away from this slick silicone floor in comparison with a naked baking sheet, parchment, or aluminum foil. Not solely this, I don’t bake cookies on some other floor!
Now that you simply’ve learn up on toffee-making, watch me make the pumpkin spice toffee from begin to end with useful ideas alongside the best way.
A lot of the “work” is stirring on the range. Not too dangerous, proper?
5 CANDY MAKING TIPS
- Smaller/bigger batch: I don’t advocate halving, doubling, or tripling sweet recipes, particularly this pumpkin spice toffee. Growing or reducing the amount may fit for baking, however the additional or decreased quantity might forestall the sweet from cooking correctly. Make separate batches as an alternative. Or, for those who want much less, merely freeze or present the leftovers.
- Climate: Sweet is choosy concerning the climate. By no means prepare dinner sweet on a very humid day, as it’ll take up moisture from the air, which can end in too-tender candies and even crystallization. Cool, dry days are ideally suited.
- Learn how to clear a sticky saucepan: It’s not all the time straightforward and it’s not all the time enjoyable, however I’ve a useful answer! If you’re completed making sticky sweet recipes, merely fill the soiled saucepan with water till the water covers all the sweet residue. Place any utensils, resembling spoons or knives, which will have gotten soiled contained in the saucepan. Place the saucepan on the range over low warmth. Let the nice and cozy water simmer and soften the sugar off the edges of the pan. Pour out the nice and cozy water, then let the instruments sit till cool sufficient to deal with. Rinse clear.
- Medium warmth: Quick doesn’t all the time win the race. Prepare dinner the toffee on medium warmth. A gradual rise in temperature prevents scorching.
- Be ready: Learn by way of the recipe and watch the video above earlier than beginning. Have your whole instruments prepared and elements measured subsequent to the range as a result of issues occur shortly!
Do-it-yourself sweet, toffee particularly, has the popularity for being troublesome and finicky. The rumors are undoubtedly true; sweet making is legit chemistry. Nevertheless, when you’ve got the appropriate instruments and comply with the recipe intently, you’re assured success. I’ve made approach too many errors to let your batch of toffee fail!
Be a part of the October Baking Problem
Make the pumpkin spice toffee recipe under or alter the flavour based mostly in your tastes. Omit the pumpkin pie spice or use floor cinnamon as an alternative, change darkish chocolate for white chocolate, swap chopped almonds for pecans, or omit the nuts utterly. So long as you comply with the essential toffee recipe under (butter, sugar, water, salt, and corn syrup), you’re collaborating within the problem!
Should you’re not into this recipe, right here is the alternate October Baking Problem:
After you make the selfmade toffee or alternate recipe, share your pictures all through October utilizing #sallysbakingchallenge in your public Instagram or Twitter, or add a photograph of your recipe to my Fb web page or Fb group. Or e mail it to me. By sharing or sending your photograph, you’re routinely entered in the $250 giveaway!
- 1 and half cups (150g) chopped unsalted pecans
- 1 cup (2 sticks; 230g) unsalted butter, reduce into items
- half cup (120g) heat water
- 1 cup + 1 Tablespoon (215g) granulated sugar, divided
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 1 teaspoon mild corn syrup
- 1 and 1/four teaspoons pumpkin pie spice, divided*
- 6 ounces (170g) high quality white chocolate, coarsely chopped*
- Toast the pecans: Preheat oven to 300°F (150°C). Line a big baking sheet with parchment paper or a silicone baking mat. Unfold the chopped pecans on prime and toast for 7-eight minutes or till aromatic and frivolously browned. Put aside. 1 cup can be used contained in the toffee and the remaining are sprinkled on prime.
- Make the toffee: Whereas stirring with a picket spoon, soften the butter over medium warmth in a three-quart heavy-obligation saucepan. As soon as melted, add the water, 1 cup (200g) granulated sugar, salt, and corn syrup. Stir always till the sugar dissolves, then brush down the edges of the pan with a water-moistened pastry brush. Connect a sweet thermometer to the pan, ensuring the bulb just isn’t touching the underside of the pan (as you will get an inaccurate studying).
- Stir the combination sometimes because it begins to boil. Speedy bubbles, a thicker consistency, and a barely darker colour type round 240°F (116°C). Proceed to stir sometimes till it reaches 290°F (143°C; smooth crack stage). Be watchful– the temperature slowly rises at first, however then skyrockets shortly. Should you discover it is rising very quick, you possibly can even flip off the warmth when the toffee reaches 285°F (141°C), as it should proceed to prepare dinner within the few seconds after.
- Instantly take away the pan from warmth and stir in 1 teaspoon pumpkin pie spice and 1 cup toasted pecans. Pour the toffee out onto a silicone baking mat lined baking sheet. Clean into a fair layer. The toffee must be thick and never unfold all the best way to the sides of the pan. Cool the toffee for five minutes.
- In the meantime, get the toppings prepared. Combine the remaining 1 Tablespoon of granulated sugar with the remaining 1/four teaspoon of pumpkin pie spice. Soften the white chocolate. You’ll be able to soften it in a double boiler or use the microwave. I soften it within the microwave in 20 second increments, stopping and stirring after every.
- Unfold the melted white chocolate on prime of the toffee, then sprinkle with remaining pecans and sugar/pumpkin pie spice combine.
- Refrigerate toffee for 20 minutes or till white chocolate has set. Peel off the silicone baking mat and break toffee into items.
- Retailer toffee in an hermetic container at room temperature in a cool dry place for as much as 2 weeks.
Make forward tip: Freeze toffee for as much as three months and thaw in a single day within the fridge earlier than serving.
- Should you discover the butter separating at any time in the course of the cooking course of, take away the pan from warmth and stir vigorously to deliver the combination again collectively.
- Be additional cautious as cooking sweet could be very scorching and should splash; put on lengthy sleeves and have a pair of kitchen gloves or oven mitts useful.
- Sweet cooking levels: Although I all the time encourage the precision of a trusty sweet thermometer, it is useful to be acquainted with sweet cooking levels. I included a chart on web page 17 in Sally’s Sweet Addiction, however you’ll find a radical one right here as properly. To make use of the chart, merely drop a little bit of the sweet syrup from a clear spoon right into a small glass bowl of very chilly water and watch what occurs. You will prepare dinner toffee to 290°F (143°C), which is the smooth crack stage.
Did you make a recipe?
Tag @sallysbakeblog on Instagram and hashtag it #sallysbakingaddiction.
SHOP THE RECIPE
Listed here are some gadgets I used to make right now’s recipe.
Copper Saucepan | Sweet Thermometer | Sweet Thermometer | Silpat Baking Mat | Baking Sheet | Pastry Brush
A few of the hyperlinks above are affiliate hyperlinks, which pay me a small fee for my referral at no additional value to you! Thanks for supporting Sally’s Baking Addiction.