These magical Sugar Plum Fairy Cupcakes are frivolously spiced with cinnamon and nutmeg, flavored with vanilla and almond, and are full of fruity jam. Prime with vanilla almond buttercream and an array of candies for a wonderfully festive Nutcracker deal with!
Feeling all the emotions as I sort this intro!
Precisely 1 yr in the past (to the day!), I shared a recipe for white chocolate peppermint cupcakes. In that publish, you bought a glimpse of my first few days again at work from maternity depart. “Back at work” meant working in my residence whereas caring for my new child, Noelle. Working/mom-ing felt unattainable. I forgot so as to add sugar to a chocolate cake, misplaced my left shoe, and went somewhat bonkers about inexperienced swirled frosting. Appears so foolish, however I used to be making an attempt my greatest in my new position as a working mom. It was actually exhausting for me.
Quick ahead one yr. Noelle is now 15 months previous, operating via the home, her candy giggles echoing within the hallways as she “plays” with the canine, and our fantastic babysitter right here so I can work. All this to say… what a distinction a yr makes. I want I might inform 2017 Sally that every part can be okay. New mother and father, you ultimately determine all of it out. 🙂
And also you’ll discover your left shoe!!
Okay however now let me introduce you to the 2018 Christmas Cupcake.
Sugar Plum Fairy Cupcakes are the epitome of festive. Within the trendy Nutcracker story, the sugar plum fairy is the ruler of the Land of Sweets. We noticed the Nutcracker carried out by the Pennsylvania ballet each Christmas once I was youthful– my sister was a ballerina and danced in it! I used the Nutcracker ballet as inspiration for these candy-topped cupcakes, full with purple swirled buttercream, gum drops, snowflake sugar cookies, peppermint swirls, and loads of sprinkles.
By the best way, have you ever seen the Nutcracker & the 4 Realms film? I haven’t. Is it good?
What Taste are Sugar Plum Fairy Cupcakes?
Conventional sugar plums aren’t plums in any respect– they’re small exhausting candies. The time period “plum” refers to their form and measurement. So the place can we go from right here? Flavors that got here to thoughts when creating these sugar plum fairy cupcakes have been almond, spice, vanilla, fruity, and undoubtedly candy.
I requested some readers and lots of agreed!
Sugar Plum Fairy Cupcakes:
- Very mild spice taste: a touch of cinnamon & nutmeg
- Candy vanilla & almond: use each vanilla & almond extracts
- Fruity: the cupcakes are full of peach jam
I’ve PLENTY of taste ideas within the recipe notes under, simply in case “Sugar Plum Fairy” evokes you in a different way. Peppermint, coconut, orange, you identify it!
As traditional, we’re beginning with my good vanilla cupcakes. This cupcake batter yields the softest, fluffiest, and lightest cupcakes. The facility elements are egg whites, cake flour, and bitter cream. These three additions are the distinction between dense cupcakes and lightweight cupcakes. Right here’s a run-down of the cupcake recipe for those who’re curious.
Tip: Fill the cupcake liners solely about 2/Three full to keep away from overflowing.
Video: Methods to Fill & Adorn Sugar Plum Fairy Cupcakes
I had a lot enjoyable creating these and determined a video tutorial can be useful for you. Filling cupcakes is very easy utilizing this little cut-out trick (watch under). For the frosting ornament, I exploit Wilton #8B piping tip. I LOVE this piping tip and utilizing it’s very easy, as you’ll be able to see on this video.
I used my vanilla buttercream and flavored it with a bit of almond extract. If desired, tint it with some colour. I coloured half of the buttercream with mauve gel meals coloring from this gel meals coloring set. I strongly advocate gel meals coloring when tinting buttercream. The colour could be very concentrated, so that you solely want a small quantity. And consequently, it gained’t damage the consistency of the buttercream. The video above exhibits you ways I “swirled” the white and mauve frostings collectively. Couldn’t be simpler!
Now let’s talk about the toppings:
Use no matter candies encourage you. And, clearly, eat any exhausting candies individually since you don’t need to head to the dentist with a damaged tooth!
The snowflakes are my cut-out sugar cookies dipped calmly within the straightforward sugar cookie icing. I used these snowflake cookie stamps they usually got here out superbly. This sugar cookie dough holds its form like no different! I topped them with coarse sugar sprinkles for somewhat sparkle.
Magical, aren’t they? Let me know for those who attempt them!
- 1 and three/four cups (200g) cake flour* (spoon & leveled)
- Three/four teaspoon baking powder
- 1/four teaspoon baking soda
- 1/four teaspoon floor nutmeg
- half teaspoon floor cinnamon
- 1/four teaspoon salt
- 1/2 cup (115g) unsalted butter, softened to room temperature
- 1 cup (200g) granulated sugar
- Three giant egg whites, at room temperature*
- 1 and half teaspoons pure vanilla extract
- 1 teaspoon almond extract*
- 1/2 cup (120g) bitter cream or plain yogurt, at room temperature
- half cup (120ml) entire milk, at room temperature
- 1/Three cup (100g) peach jam or preserves (or your favourite taste)
Vanilla Almond Buttercream
- 1 cup (230g) unsalted butter, softened to room temperature
- four – 5 cups (480-600g) confectioners’ sugar
- 1/four cup (60ml) heavy cream or milk
- 1 and 1/2 teaspoons pure vanilla extract
- 1/2 teaspoon almond extract
- salt, to style
- non-compulsory for garnish: snowflake sugar cookies (see weblog publish above), gum drops, peppermint candies, sprinkles
- Preheat the oven to 350°F (177°C). Line a 12-cup muffin pan with cupcake liners. (I used these cupcake liners.) Line a second pan with 2-Three liners – this recipe makes 14-15 cupcakes. Put aside.
- Make the cupcakes: Whisk the cake flour, baking powder, baking soda, nutmeg, cinnamon, and salt collectively. Put aside.
- Utilizing a handheld or stand mixer fitted with a whisk attachment, beat the butter and sugar collectively on excessive velocity till clean and creamed, about 2 minutes. Scrape down the edges and up the underside of the bowl with a rubber spatula as wanted. Beat within the egg whites on excessive velocity till mixed, about 2 minutes. Beat within the bitter cream, vanilla extract, and almond extract. Scrape down the edges and up the underside of the bowl as wanted. With the mixer on low velocity, add the dry elements till simply included. With the mixer nonetheless operating on low, slowly pour and blend within the milk *simply* till mixed. Don’t overmix.
- Pour/spoon the batter into the liners. Fill solely 2/Three full to keep away from baking over the edges. Bake for 20-22 minutes, or till a toothpick inserted within the middle comes out clear. For round 35 mini cupcakes, bake for about 11-13 minutes, similar oven temperature. Permit the cupcakes to chill utterly earlier than filling and frosting.
- Fill the cupcakes: Watch video above for a visible of this step. Utilizing a pointy knife, reduce a circle/gap into the middle of the cooled cupcakes to create somewhat pocket about 1 inch deep. The piece you eliminated would be the form of a cone. Spoon jam inside every carved out cupcake. Use as a lot jam that may match. Slice off the sharp finish of the “cone” piece you eliminated in order that it might match on prime of the filling. Place on prime of the filling.
- Make the buttercream: With a handheld or stand mixer fitted with a paddle attachment, beat the butter on medium velocity till creamy, about 2 minutes. Add four and half cups confectioners’ sugar, the heavy cream, vanilla extract, and almond extract. Beat on low velocity for 30 seconds, then improve to excessive velocity and beat for Three full minutes. Add as much as half cup extra confectioners’ sugar if frosting is just too skinny or one other Tablespoon of cream if frosting is just too thick. Add a pinch of salt if frosting is just too candy. (I add 1/eight teaspoon salt.) If desired, tint the buttercream with gel meals coloring. I coloured half of it with mauve gel meals coloring from this gel meals coloring set and swirled it with the white buttercream. Watch video within the weblog submit for a fast tutorial.
- Frost cooled cupcakes. I used Wilton 8B piping tip, as proven within the video. Embellish with garnishes and candies.
- Cowl and retailer leftovers within the fridge for as much as 5 days.
Make forward tip: Cupcakes can be made forward 1 day prematurely, coated, and saved at room temperature or within the fridge. Frosting can even be made 1 day prematurely, coated, and saved within the fridge till prepared to make use of. Frosted or unfrosted cupcakes can be frozen as much as 2-Three months. Thaw in a single day within the fridge.
- Cake flour: For those who can’t get your palms on cake flour, you can also make a DIY model from all-purpose flour and cornstarch. Measure 1 cup of all-purpose flour. Take away 2 Tablespoons. Combine in 2 Tablespoons of cornstarch. This equals 1 cup of cake flour. I recommend doing this twice, mixing all of it up in 1 bowl then eradicating 1/four cup because you want 1 and three/four cups on this recipe.
- What to do with leftover egg yolks? I’ve some recipe concepts for you!
- Almond extract: For those who’re not a fan of almond extract, you possibly can depart it out of the cupcakes and buttercream. Substitute with equal quantities of vanilla extract or, for one thing totally different, orange extract or coconut extract. Craving peppermint? Miss the cinnamon and nutmeg within the cupcake batter and exchange the almond extract with peppermint extract.
- Why is all the things at room temperature? All refrigerated gadgets ought to be at room temperature so the batter mixes collectively simply and evenly. Learn right here for extra info.
- Make sure you take a look at my 10 ideas for baking the BEST cupcakes earlier than you start.
- Considering a cake as an alternative of cupcakes? I recommend following my vanilla layer cake recipe as the bottom, which is nearly double this cupcake recipe. Add Three/four teaspoon floor cinnamon, half teaspoon floor nutmeg, and 1 and 1/2 teaspoons almond extract to the cake batter. Use the vanilla frosting recipe listed with the cake and add 1 teaspoon almond extract.
Did you make a recipe?
Tag @sallysbakeblog on Instagram and hashtag it #sallysbakingaddiction.
SHOP THE RECIPE
Listed here are some gadgets I used to make at this time’s recipe.
KitchenAid Stand Mixer | Cupcake Pan | Pink Polka Dot Cupcake Liners | Cooling Rack | Pastel Gel Meals Coloring Package | Piping Luggage | Wilton#8B Piping Tip | Snowflake Cookie Stampers